2014 British Open Golf Championship
The 143rd renewal of the Open Championship was held at Royal Liverpool Golf Club on Merseyside from 17th to the 20th July 2014. The tournament was won by Rory McIlroy as the Northern Irishman held off the challenge of Rickie Fowler and Sergio Garcia to wrap up a wire-to-wire victory.
Rory McIlroy started as he meant to go on with a bogey-free round of 66 to take a opne shot lead at the end of the first day at Royal Liverpool. Matteo Manassero played well to record a 67. while Sergio Garcia was part of a group of eight players who went round in 68.
McIlroy came up with a second successive round of 66 to open up a stunning four shot lead over Dustin Johnson, who was also in fine fettle as he fired the lowest round of the tournament with a 65.
An approaching storm ensured that the third round was played off both the 1st and 10th tees in threesomes. It was the first time in Open history that they had gone off both tees. Rickie Fowler went round in 68 but McIlroy matched the American to hold a six-shot lead going into the final day.
Sergio Garcia and Rickie Fowler kept up the pressure on McIlroy as they fired rounds of 66 and 67 respectively but they would have to settle for a share of second as they finished two shots behind McIlroy, who won the title with a final round of 71.
2014 British Open - Rory McIlroy
Latest Golf News
- Patrick Reed Offers Value In The Top Ryder Cup Points Scorer Betting
- Justin Rose Is The Best Bet To Be Top European At The Ryder Cup
- Jordan Spieth Tipped To Be Top American In 2016 Ryder Cup At Hazeltine
- 2016 Ryder Cup Betting Preview USA Are Odds On To End Europes Recent Dominance
- USA Pick Ryan Moore The One To Back In Ryder Cup Top Debutant Market